Sunday, October 16, 2011

"New paintings from the studio"

"Saturday Afternoon Nap" 8x12 oil on panel


This a quick little study of my beautiful granddaughter napping on the couch. I took some good reference shots of this, so it might just translate into something large. We`ll see how that goes. I like the the look of immediacy in this little sketch.

"A Mountain Goat" 12x16 oil on linen

Except for the horse subjects that I paint, I do not paint wildlife on a regular basis. I do like doing wildlife, but the subject is not readily accessibly to me, except for the tropical birds I see locally. This guy perched on rocks looks like he is surveying his territory. I`m sure with the exception of Mountain lions, he is king of the hill.

"The Old Red Barn" 9x12 oil on linen panel

This little 9x12 painting is an afternoon effort in my studio from reference taken on a painting trip a couple of years ago. I like to revisit old reference. Occasionally, a fresh eye on something that I might have been passed over is good. Most of the time there was good reason for passing over it. I think in this case, for myself, this was a fun little study.

2 comments:

  1. Saturday Afternoon Nap is a great painting! They are all nice, but this one has so much energy. The way you applied the little spots of color is surprising. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Randy! I am seriously considering doing a large one of this subject. She is my grandaughter, so I have access to the model....which is a good thing, but any resulting painting might be difficult to release to a gallery....if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete