Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"Painting Vistas"

"Work in progress", 18x24 oil on linen



I had a recent conversation about landscape painting, and the topic of Vistas came up.  I have never really chosen to paint vistas.  I seem to be more attracted to the intimate in nature.  The more heroic panoramic type of scenes somehow always got overlooked by me. …I don’t know why that is.  Maybe it is the lack of confidence that I could pull off something that beautiful in a painting.  This summer I was exposed to some of the most magnificent vistas in Maine.  The mountain tops in Acadia national park are breathtaking to say the least.  I have so much reference from that trip.   I decided to give them a try.  This is my first official Vista painting.  I don’t want it to fall into the pretty, postcard of Acadia Park genre….hopefully!  I will do a couple more after this one is finished, and who knows…..if I don’t hate them, they may develop into another subject that I can enjoy painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment