Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"2013 Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational"

 "49' was a good year", 11x14 oil on linen panel

I just returned from the "2013 Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational" a couple of days ago, and considering the first three days of terrible weather conditions....it was a great event.  When the weather finally cooperated, it was great.  I did bring rain gear....thankfully, but it wasn't much help.   

The painting above is one that a friend and I painted from different angles.  I wish mine looked half as good as Luke Buck's did.  He is a master watercolor artist and the only water color artist in the competition.  I don't know what it is about old rusty things that put them in danger of being painted by some artist like myself.  While I was painting this old truck, the owner drove up and chatted with me and Marilyn about why these old vehicles are on the property.  He was driving a completely restored 49 Ford pickup, and apparently the old discarded ones were used for parts to restore the one he was driving....hence the the title fro the painting, "49 was a good year".  These are a few of the locations I chose to paint this year.

"Simmons Bayou", 9x15 oil on linen
This is a spot that I visit on every trip to this event.  No matter how many times you paint it....it always looks different the next time.  

 "Saturday 2 hour Quick Draw"
 This was the Saturday Quick draw in very unpleasant weather.  We took shelter under one of the little covered pavilions.  That's me in hooded rain gear along with two terrific artist, Greg LaRock, and Luke Buck.

Quick Draw Participants


"Stumphole", 6.75x6.75 oil on linen panel

Painting "Stumphole" on a beautiful, but windy day.  The wave action reminded me of the east coast.  Stumphole is an area along the coast going out to Cape San Blas that is built up with granite boulders to prevent the gulf from washing out the road and making it an island.....very interesting area to paint.

 

"Three in a row", 11x14, oil on linen panel

The oyster boats are always a subject revisited by the artists in this event.  The only place I have seen these unique looking vessels.  They are all similar while being uniquely different.

Finished painting of "Three in a row"

"Path to the beach", 8x10 oil oil on linen panel

Painting the "Dunes at Salinas Park", 6x8 oil on linen panel


In the ten day event, there was very little time to do this.  This year, I ended up painting fifteen paintings..... which is a lot for me.  These are just a few examples of the locations and paintings from this year's event.  I had a great time painting and visiting with friends....it is like going to a reunion after several years of participation in the Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational.  It is the only time I get to visit with some of these artist friends.....also met some new friends.  That really is what is most fun.  As usual, I must thank Marilyn for documenting all of this....without her, there would be little to show in the way of photos.  It is one of my favorite events and I'm proud and grateful to be able to be part of it.  Thanks for listening to my ramblings.





No comments:

Post a Comment