Friday, December 5, 2014

Demo/heads from imagination!

Detail

     Head of woman, 11x7, oil, from imagination
20 minute quick study

     Yesterday was the final day of the fall semester for 2014 at Ringling College of Art and Design....final critiques in the morning class, and the afternoon class had already completed their final critiques, so I did three little demos.  Two heads painted from imagination, and one little painting directly from a graphite sketch in one of my sketch books.  It was a fun couple of hours.  I think practicing this type of demo is a useful exercise.....a great way to practice the application of paint and use of the brush without concern with likenesses and things of that nature.  Early on in my illustration career, I used to do a lot of these as warm ups.  I used to throw them away, until an artist friend convinced me that I should save them.  I don't do them that much any more, but I have bags of these left over from those days. I always intend to do more demos in these classes, but the weeks go by so quickly, next thing you know, the semester is coming to an end!

Head of a man, 11x7, oil, from imagination
Quick study
Detail
Third Demo using my sketch book as reference, 12x9 oil on linen panel
Detail
     Semester comes to an end and now it's time recharge the batteries, and do some on location painting and studio work.....along with long neglected projects.  Thanks for listening to my Cajun ramblings.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment