Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Left Handed Study



A few weeks ago, I strained some ligaments in my right arm doing a home project!  It was painful and caused issues using my arm for certain movements….thankfully, it didn’t keep me from painting….but, it gave me pause… and I thought, “What if I couldn’t use my right hand to paint?”  “Could I do a painting with my left hand?”

 I have never tried doing anything that required any type of finesse with my left hand….so, I decided to do a little head study, using only my left hand.  I did a little master copy after the great John Singer Sargent.  It was a little awkward, but I was surprised that it was not as disappointing as I thought it might be. 

 What this tells me is that observation skills are really more important than being facile with a brush.  I think with some practice, I could paint images with my left hand that would be hard to distinguish from the right handed paintings.  The image below is 6x8, oil on linen panel.  I may never do another one….but it is comforting to know that if push comes to shove, and I had to….I could do a left hand painting!  The most difficult thing was signing the painting!

Thanks for listening to my ramblings!

Hodges Soileau OPA

Left Handed 6x8 oil on linen study after Sargent

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this was quite nice! Although I do hope you will never need this skill out of necessity, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Judy....yes, I hope I never have to do another one....ever!

    ReplyDelete