Saturday, November 24, 2012

"Dancers"

"Dancer in Purple"16x12 oil on board
 
I have been thinking about dancers lately, or I should say painting some dancers again.  I haven't painted that subject for a few years.  I started looking at some old images....2005 or 06, I believe.  These two paintings were painted sort of as book ends, and ended up being sold in different venues to different collectors....which is not a problem for me.  Maybe they were too similar to be sold as a pair, and in hind sight should have changed one or the other just a bit.  Anyway, they both sold and that was a good thing.  I apologize for the poor quality of the images.  I had a very poor excuse for a digital camera back when these were photographed.
 
                                                   "Dancer in Green", 16x12 oil on Board

 

It is always fun to revisit older paintings and see the progress, or change in the work.  I still like these two paintings, but I see a difference that pleases me as an artist.  I think the paintings still hold up, and although it might be subtle, I do see some change and difference, that hopefully translates into improvement....I certainly never intend to intentionally stay in the same place, or continue to do the same thing over and over again.
 
These paintings were painted on a surface that I rarely paint on any longer.  As I recall, the surface was a heavy illustration board sized with an acrylic gesso.  I now choose to paint primarily on oil primed linen or linen panels.  I do like to mix it up now and then....not get to comfortable.  Again, thanks for listening to my Cajun Ramblings.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I think they're eye catching and difficult to look away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan for the nice comment. I am planning a few new paintings of this subject....will post as they become available.

      Delete