Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Two new finished paintings"

"Tools of the Trade", 12x16 oil on linen panel.
 
This painting is a result of this past summer's trip to Maine....specifically Tenants Harbor Maine.
When I walked up to this pile of buoys, I saw this as a still life type painting.  I had every intention of doing a location sketch of this, but somehow all of the other beautiful spots to paint took up most of my time.  I always come away from these trips with a wealth of reference.  I could probably do enough paintings to fill two shows just from this past summer.  Obviously I won't do all those paintings.  Something else always moves to the front of the importance line.
 
"Moving the Big Boys", 18x24 oil on linen
 
I had time to set this aside and let it rest.  I made a few adjustments...very few, and now I am reasonably happy with the overall feeling of this painting.  As I mentioned in a previous post, this is the second painting of this subject.  I initially added some things to the foreground and subsequently removed them.  Generally what one should do is leave out things, rather than add....less is more.  Leaving out, in this case, was definitely the better solution.
 
Thanks for listening to my Cajun Ramblings!    

No comments:

Post a Comment